|The Collegiate Way: Residential Colleges & the Renewal of University Life ‹collegiateway.org›|
Higher Education News from the Collegiate Way
Residential Colleges & the Renewal of Campus Life
These news items about residential colleges, house systems, and the renewal of university life are posted for readers of the Collegiate Way website. For more about residential colleges and collegiate universities please visit the main Collegiate Way page.
Collegiate Way News · Subset: Collegiate Way Press Coverage
¶ This topical subset reports on stories published in other media that have drawn on the resources of the Collegiate Way website. (Return to the complete news index.)
- University World News Notes the Collegiate Way
(5 May 2009)
The proposed residential colleges at LUMS draw more international attention.
- The Residential College Movement in Review
(31 December 2008)
In 2008 the collegiate way of living made encouraging advances around the world.
- Yale Alumni Magazine Contemplates College Design
(20 March 2008)
New-college recommendations from alumni and friends (including me).
- A Review of the Residential College Movement in 2007
(30 December 2007)
It’s been a good year for friends of the collegiate way of living around the world.
- “To gather from the air a live tradition”
(21 December 2007)
‘A British college’s annual holiday tradition contains lessons for us all, writes Robert O’Hara’ at Inside Higher Ed.
- “Against Theme Halls” in Student Affairs Leader
(15 November 2007)
Themed housing is easy to sell, but in education what’s easy isn’t always best.
- Lehigh University Explores the Collegiate Way
(6 November 2007)
The Morning Call reports on the establishment of South Mountain College.
- The Burlington Free Press Reports on Campus Life
(31 August 2007)
A review of recent residential trends on campus, with comments on ‘theme halls.’
- Faculty-in-Residence at McKendree University
(29 July 2007)
The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports on a good first step toward a collegiate system.
- The New York Times on Residential Colleges
(29 July 2007)
In the Education Life section, Bruce Weber reports on ‘The Residential Collage.’
- “When the Classroom Meets the Dorm Room”
(20 March 2007)
The Philadelphia Metro takes note of faculty in residence.
- The Associated Press Reports on the Collegiate Way
(5 March 2007)
Residential colleges and faculty in residence draw national media attention again.
- Hogwarts U: The Collegiate Way at Inside Higher Ed
(28 November 2006)
‘The future of higher education may lie in the English-speaking world’s oldest model of university organization, writes Robert O’Hara.’
- Coach Odysseus
(9 October 2006)
An ‘image of excellence’ for college sports? Excellence in corruption and violence, says Robert O’Hara in The New Yorker.
- Vanderbilt Residential College System Moves Forward
(11 August 2006)
The Nashville Business Journal reports on collegiate developments in Tennessee.
- Mississippi Announces Residential College Plans
(17 April 2006)
The first colleges will be created in the next two years, says The Daily Mississippian.
- Colorado Regents Approve Collegiate Plan
(12 April 2006)
The Daily Camera reports on CU’s first step toward a residential college system.
- 2000 Freshmen in One Building Complex is a Bad Idea
(2 February 2006)
The East Valley Tribune asks if ASU’s McAllister Village will be good for freshmen.
- Collegiate Ideals in the London Times Higher
(20 August 2004)
Bob O’Hara on the collegiate way in the London Times Higher Education Supplement.
- The Daily Mississippian on Collegiate Plans for Oxford
(4 March 2004)
‘Provost Carolyn Staton’s dream is to see a residential college established at Ole Miss.’
- Notes from the Collegiate Blogosphere
(19 January 2004)
Weblogs across the net take note of the collegiate way.
- First Choice College Tips Votes for Residential Colleges
(12 January 2004)
Admissions consultant James Maroney offers advice to parents and students.
- Residential Colleges Offer the Best of Both Worlds
(4 May 2003)
Good advice from the National Association for College Admission Counseling.
- The Washington Post Features Residential Colleges
(25 February 2003)
Eliot Applestein tells us about ‘a neighborhood in a dorm.’
- The Daily Iowan on Residential Colleges
(24 January 2003)
Alex Johnson writes about ‘creating a community that gives something back.’
- The Middlebury Campus Profiles the Collegiate Way
(4 December 2002)
The Middlebury College student newspaper reports on the residential college movement.
- The Chicago Tribune Reports on Residential Colleges
(10 November 2002)
Patrick Kampert asks, ‘Is there a doctor of philosophy in the house?’
- Collegiate Way Notices on the Web
(9 November 2002)
The Scout Report and other websites take note of the Collegiate Way.
- The Boston Globe Reports on Residential Colleges
(30 September 2002)
Jenna Russell interviews residential faculty at Wheaton College and Assumption College.
- Bremen’s Blue Print: ›Colleges – ein neues altes Konzept‹
(21 August 2002)
The collegiate way of living: an old idea for a new German university.
- The Journal of College and Character
(14 August 2002)
Collegiate notes from the Center for the Study of Values in Student Development.
- Residential Colleges Proposed for Rutgers University
(5 August 2002)
Professor William Dowling urges reform at Rutgers in a brilliant polemic.
- Messiah College Alumni Propose a House System
(15 July 2002)
Graduates of a Pennsylvania liberal arts college recommend the collegiate way.
- Residential College Deans Meet at Middlebury College
(9 June 2002)
A Vermont campus hosts a gathering of collegiate advisors.
- MIT Architecture Essay Proposes Residential Colleges
(24 February 2002)
Architect and MIT alumnus Jay Weber commends the collegiate way to his alma mater.
- “How to Build a Residential College” Appears in Print
(4 January 2002)
A brief introduction is now available in SCUP’s Planning for Higher Education.
- “Back to the Future” With Residential Colleges
(1 November 2001)
The Collegiate Way appears in The Irascible Professor.
- “How to Build a Residential College” to Appear in Print
(16 October 2001)
An introductory collegiate essay will appear in Planning for Higher Education.
- The Collegiate Way is Featured on StudentAffairs.com
(2 October 2001)
We are ‘website of the month’ at the popular student affairs clearinghouse.
© Robert J. O’Hara 2000–2016