|The Collegiate Way: Residential Colleges & the Renewal of University Life ‹collegiateway.org›|
St. Cuthbert’s Society at the University of DurhamRobert J. O’Hara (email@example.com)
St. Cuthbert’s Society at the University of Durham was founded in 1888 primarily for local, non-resident students of the university. (For those familiar with the House system at Harvard University, St. Cuthbert’s Society is the counterpart to Dudley House.) The headquarters of the society are a collection of fine buildings in the historic heart of Durham city, near the cathedral, which contain the full complement of college common rooms as well as a number of residential spaces. These informal photos of the Durham residential colleges were taken by Robert J. O’Hara during a consulting visit to Durham. For more information about the residential colleges please visit the main Collegiate Way page.
The formal entrance to the St. Cuthbert’s Society buildings along the Bailey, the main medieval street running north to south through the center of Durham city.
The main staircase inside the St. Cuthbert’s Society entrance, with portraits of past principals lining the walls.
The St. Cuthbert’s Society dining hall in late afternoon light. The large windows on two sides look out on the quiet lawns and hedges behind the building.
The St. Cuthbert’s Society Senior Common Room.
A section of the quiet “backs” behind the main buildings of St. Cuthbert’s Society at the University of Durham.
An entrance to the St. Cuthbert’s Society library opening directly onto the main sidewalk of the Bailey, the principal street of the medieval city.
One of the St. Cuthbert’s Society courtyards.
One of the courtyards of St. Cuthbert’s Society at the south end of the Bailey. The wall at the rear is a section of the medieval city wall of Durham.
© Robert J. O’Hara 2000–2014